The Alexander Gorchakov Public Diplomacy Fund was established in accordance with a decree of the President of the Russian Federation Dmitry A. Medvedev on February 2, 2010.
Under the conditions of globalization of world’s political, economic and social processes, the public diplomacy acquires special significance for effective advancement of the Russia’s foreign policy interests. The Fund’s mission in this regard involves encouraging development of the public diplomacy field and supporting establishment of a favorable for Russia public, political and business climate.
The Gorchakov Fund holds activities in the following directions with the purpose of providing support to the public diplomacy, offering assistance to participation of the Russian non-governmental organizations in international cooperation and ensuring active and efficient involvement of institutions of the civil society in the foreign policy process:
- assistance in advancement of social, cultural, educational, rsearch and management programs in the area of international relations;
- providing support to mass media and information resources with the focus of achieving the statutory goals of the Fund;
- participation in the analysis of an economic and public policy position, investment and innovation potential of Russia abroad, consulting and monitoring of current processes in the public diplomacy;
- providing financial, methodological and organizational support to interested national organizations presenting initiative proposals complying with the statuary goals of the Fund;
- raising funds on a voluntary basis from interested individuals and organizations with the purpose of achieving the statutory goals of the Fund;
- providing information and consulting services on the topics of the Fund’s expertise;
- organizing and holding conferences and seminars, exhibitions, symposia, business meetings and lectures;
- development and distribution of methodological and information materials on the topics of the Fund’s expertise;
- participation in the educational process;
- holding charity activities;
- establishing mass media and publishing activities including organizing launch and realization of information products, periodicals and research and methodology publications;
- providing support to Russian-language mass media and information resources abroad as well as to Russian mass media and information resources;
- creation of information centers on the topics of the Fund’s expertise;
- implementation of international cooperation and providing support to development of international ties including in the area of advancement of democracy and protection of human rights;
- assistance in creating a favorable for Russia public opinion abroad;
- providing support to advancement of intellectual, cultural, scientific and business potential of Russia abroad.
The Gorchakov Fund provides support to various non-governmental organizations in implementing projects, which comply with the goals of the Fund as outlined in its statute, through grants awards. Review of applications for receiving grants and grants awards are administered in accordance with the Grants Provisions.
The Gorchakov Fund makes announcements about contests to organize events and implement projects, which comply with the goals of the Fund as outlined in its statute. Selection of organizations for implementation of the competitive projects is administered in accordance with the Contests Provisions. Support to organizations-winners of the contest is provided through grants awards to organize events and implement projects.
The Gorchakov Fund organizes its own events, which focus on providing support to the field of public diplomacy, improving the foreign policy image of Russia abroad and achieving other statutory goals of the Fund. These events include thematic conferences, public lectures and meetings on foreign policy problems with the participation of recognized national and foreign experts in the area of international relations.
Welcome to the official website of the Public Diplomacy Fund named after an outstanding Russian diplomat and politician of the XIX century Alexander Mikhailovich Gorchakov. A field of public diplomacy has begun its active development in modern Russia relatively recently when a fast-paced process of opening borders and establishing civil society began. The world practice, where a wide palette of opinions expressed and maintained by different public institutions significantly affects the process of making important decisions by authorities, has not passed by us and is visibly realized through dynamic activities of non-profit non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in all the directions.
The so-called policy of “soft power” has started playing a bigger role in international environment, where a priority is given not to military and economic power of the world’s national-administrative units, but to a capability of a state and society to exert influence in international space by using their cultural, historic and political values.
The field of public diplomacy has started gaining momentum. Unlike classical principles of pursuing a foreign policy, where the role of public authorities has an essential and monopolized meaning, a major actor in the public diplomacy is a self-motivated part of socium, including any citizen who is not indifferent to what and how is happening in Russia and beyond. Russian non-profit non-governmental organizations (NGOs) begin playing a noticeable role in implementing the foreign policy strategy.
In order to intensify international activities of the Russian NGOs and other national institutions of the civil society, President Dmitry A. Medvedev supported the initiative of establishing the Gorchakov Fund. I would like to stress that our Fund is the first and unique mechanism of a state-society partnership in the field of foreign policy in modern Russia.
Apparently, national NGOs, which actively participate in the foreign policy activities along with the state with the purpose of establishing a decent socio-political and business image of Russia in the world, are in need of support. Definitely, the status of Russia, as of any other global political entity of the XXI century, will depend on the ability of the national elite to carry out complex modernization of all the spheres of the public life in Russia. This also refers to the national foreign policy, which should be maneuverable, flexible and capable of solving a whole spectrum of goals and global challenges facing our country.
Creation of the Alexander Gorchakov Public Diplomacy Fund offers integrated support to national institutions of the civil society. We will be able to achieve a synergetic effect by using joint efforts while actively working on accomplishing the common goal: creation of an adequate image of Russia as well as of our national cultural values for the global community.
Leonid V. Drachevsky
The Alexander Gorchakov Public Diplomacy Fund