International scientific conference "Xenophobia and Extremism: Modern Trends in the OSCE Region" will take place online on October 26. The project is implemented by the Center for Studies of Extremism and Radicalism (CSER) under Moscow Institute of Economics (MIE) with the support of the Gorchakov Fund.
The goal of the event is to hold an expert discussion of new challenges facing the international community when combating extremism and ways of coping with it. During the conference, participants will present reports on the topics of nature and expressions of extremism, social xenophobia, national policies and activities of radical organizations.
1. Main definitions of extremism in modern science;
2. Extremism, radicalism, xenophobia, hate crimes, genocide and other related concepts – cause-and-effect relationships, common and distinctive characteristics;
3. Prerequisites and forms of extremism, models of development of extremist groups in different countries;
4. Risks of not taking measures against extremism;
5. Global trends in anti-extremist legislations and law enforcement;
6. Dynamics of xenophobic moods in the society in the OSCE space;
7. Dynamics of extremist crimes. Common trends;
8. Role of digital technologies in radicalization of a society;
9. Modern trends in activities of extremist organizations. Right and left extremists. Islamism. Main risk factors in the OSCE region.
Date of the event: October 26
Languages of the event: Russian and English
Who can apply?
Experts in studies of modern extremism, radicalism, interethnic and inter-religious relations, legal scholars, lawyers, historians and political scientists, teachers and representatives of Russian and foreign educational institutions, governmental, non-profit and other organizations, Russian and foreign scientists, Bachelor's and Master's students and postgraduates.
Top world's researchers from Russia, the US, the UK,France and other countries of the OSCE region will attend as speakers and moderators of the event. A book of reports will be published based on results of the conference.
How to attend?
Register by September 2 here. Talking points and texts of reports can be attached to the application form. There is no fee for participation in the conference or publication of the reports.
Contact about organizational issues:
Dr. Valery Engel, Director of of CSER at valery. firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact about media accreditation:
Pavel Rymarev, Head of the Unit for IT Support email@example.com
CSER is a research and expert center established under Moscow Institute of Economics in April of 2021. Its goal is to perform monitoring and analysis of nature, content and consequences of expressions of extremism and radicalism in the modern world, undertake expert studies aimed at identifying signs of extremism in activities of certain individuals or organizations, development of educational content for students, lawyers and human rights advocates.
Photo source: canva.com