The Gorchakov Fund and the Diplomatic Academy under the MFA of Russia announced a contest of essays on the future of the system of security
The Alexander Gorchakov Public Diplomacy Fund and the Diplomatic Academy under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia have announced a contest of research and analytical papers on “The Future of the System of International Security. With or without NATO?”
Today, at the time of big changes, a new perspective of the problems facing the world is required. The goal of the contest is to provide an opportunity to make a statement for young scientists interested in professional development as experts in that field.
A team of winners will be formed based on results of the contest and the members of the team will present their essays during a workshop, which will be attended by international security experts.
Essays may include analysis of one of the problems of international security as well as ideas and initiatives targeting strengthening of the pan-European dialogue in the field of security. Each essay should specify importance of the analyzed issue to Russia.
Who can participate?
Young researchers (senior Bachelor’s students and Master’s students), journalists, diplomats, representatives of any profession (not older than 35) interested in developing professionally and discussing their ideas in regards to the European security.
- essays should correspond to the theme of the contest,
- original version, not published earlier;
- scientific style;
- analytical approach;
- bibliography (footnotes and references) should be included; when quoting materials from the Internet – name of the material, date of its publication, website address and date of the last update should be provided.
Working language of the contest: Russian/English.
Formal requirements: language of the essay – Russian, English. Size of the essay – 3-7 pages, font – Times New Roman, shrift – 12, line spacing – 1,5 without spaces between paragraphs or “first lines” (indented lines); text alignment – justified; last name, initials of the author and the title centered in semi-bold, page-by-page references and bibliography.
The essays submitted for the contest will be considered by an expert committee.
Based on results of the contest:
Participation in the workshop in Moscow. 15 winners will be selected and invited to attend the workshop “The Future of the System of International Security. With or without NATO?” in Moscow.
Lectures and consultations by top Russian experts in the area of Euro-Atlantic security and transnational challenges to security. Every participant will have an opportunity to consult with experts on the topic of his/her essay.
Cost of participation in the workshop (travel, accommodation, meals during the event), lectures and consultations will be at the expense of the Gorchakov Fund.
Deadline for applications (submission of essays) – by October 25, 2019.
The contest results will be announced by November 10, 2019.
The workshop, lectures and consultations will take place in Moscow on December 8-11, 2019.
If participants do not meet the formal requirements, the Organizing Committee may reject their applications. If applications comply with the requirements, the applicants will be notified within a week about approval of the application.
In order to participate in the contest, applicants should forward their essays to email@example.com and mention “International Security” in the subject of the message.
1. Characteristics of modern architecture of the Euro-Atlantic security and their influence on the regional security;
2. International military intervention as a phenomenon in the area of military and political security;
3. Humanitarian intervention and NATO;
4. Expansion and restructuring of NATO and their influence on the regional security;
5. Evolution of the NATO’s strategy at the modern stage;
6. Interconnection between security and categories of “perception”, “values”, “interests” and “power”;
7. New threats in the Euro-Atlantic space and ways to neutralize them;
8. Russia and NATO: a new paradigm of relations;
9. The role and the place of the Euro-Atlantic regional in the global system of security.